"I often had my camera with me. There were so many opportunities to capture the experiences of our youth on film. I suspected that one day we would wonder if it actually happened..." Badger.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rats in Snow @ Sandy Pond Part 1

One of my best memories of fun in the relentless winter at Sandy Pond was an excursion I had with some Rats one day on a toboggan. Thing was, the toboggan was tied onto a rope attached to my Dad's 1968 MOTO-SKI sled. It was the winter of '72.

That was the Kappesser family toboggan. A heavy laminated hardwood piece that Dad got free but broken. He fixed it with his psuedo-carpentry skills and we used it every chance we could - -sliding down Richter's hill, pullin' behind the MOTO-SKI, ice-fishin', etc. During the mid-60's, Dad used to pull me around (not slow!) on the frozen North Pond on a 75 foot rope tethered to his '62 Ford Falcon. Blast, EH?

Back to the topic-at-hand...Stinky (Jay Reed), Squirrel (Harlon Bristol), Dildo (Dave Dillabough) and I decided to make a film clip of Squirrel and Stinky riding a toboggan westward at an alarming rate down Co. Route 15 past Bartlett's Marina (now known as the SPYC Marina) to Sandy Island Beach.

Dildo drove the sled and I rolled the 8mm Kodachrome film (only the best!) while sitting backwards on the back of the sled. I remember having trouble keeping the Kodak M30 movie camera still, I was laughing so much at Squirrel...first Stinky loses his hat and has to go back after it, then they get too animated and wipe out, then you'll see them come a little too close to a red pickup truck traveling east.

Watch this... (More of this romp to follow in another post).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers